Monday, August 9, 2010

Tool # 3

I was first introduced to Wordle by one of my GT students. I wasn't sure what it was until I read it and noticed it was about him! I think this is a great way for students to create a list of words to personify an idea. It's open-ended and allows creativity of each student and allows students to pull from the experiences. I can see how this will work great for 1st graders, because they like simple, but complex. They use single words to describe something, but uses multiple to clarify. This is great for students to do at the beginning of the year to go along with a new book I just got, "My Dog is As Smelly as a Sock!" This would go great with their images to help give hints for their "ART" of themselves. I could also see how this could work for character traits; I think the usage of Wordle is endless...

Wordle: Literacy WS

As for Animoto, I’ve used this before with my students. They love it because it takes the beauty of pictures and mixes it with music that expresses what the pictures mean to them. This is a great way for a student to use for projects that doesn’t have to do with cutting or gluing or having mom and dad make pretty posters. Students can take pictures, find pictures (on freebie sites/give credit to owner), and put a presentation together. Although it is only 30 seconds, this makes students think deeper into their project. They have to decide which pictures capture their thought or idea. They have to determine if order makes a “WOW” factor. They need to decide what a “simple” text can captivate. They need to find the tune that entices the viewer. Simple but purposeful!

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment