Monday, August 9, 2010

Tool # 5

The two websites I found through the social bookmarking are tagged with “Daily 5”. Here are the two sites http://www.the2sisters.com/ (found through delicious) and http://www.diigo.com/bookmark/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maiolo.org%2F2nd_Grade%2FMini_Lessons.html?tab=comment (found through diigo). Since I’ve started reading The Daily Five and The CAFÉ Book, I’ve been looking for more information about this new approach. I’ve been to the actual site, but I was trying to find one from a user that is applying this method. The 1st site took me to the main writers' site. I never even thought to look up their own site to get more resources. The 2nd site I found was created by a teacher who explains how she creates mini lessons for her class using this method but integrating it with other great ways. Good to know, I have lots of the books that she refers to as references.

I can see this working in the classroom for my students when doing a research. As a teacher, I can filter and add websites that I want students to navigate through. For first graders, sometimes it takes a while to type in the whole address to specific sites, so I can set this up so students will use their time wisely instead of looking for buttons on the keyboard. But students can also do this on their own if they are researching and find a good website they would like to share with their friends. The most important component of social bookmarking is the student understanding how to tag these sites correctly. This is the only way to use this tool effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment